With the collapse of savings interest rates putting pressure on the over 50s and their finances, OscarUK.co.uk has revealed that the UK’s over 50s could be saving a staggering £26 billion* a year.
The fall of savings interest rates to as little as 0.25 per cent has stranded many of the UK’s 21 million over 50s, with a shortfall in income putting a strain on everyday spending, from holidays and luxuries, to eating out and general household expenditure.
To help, a free, one-stop, online, consumer service called OscarUK has been launched. The concessions site estimates that by signing up for free membership and taking advantage of a wide range of offers and benefits open to the over 50s, they could be saving an estimated £1,250 each yearly.
The new site will provide a central online database of discounts, concessions and information dedicated to the over 50’s in a wide range of areas, including holidays, days out, eating out, transport and finance. OscarUK aims to bring together essential information for the over 50s in one place, so it is easy for older people of varying web knowledge to take advantage of everything available to them.
OscarUK has searched out over 3,000 offers and concessions specifically available to seniors from a huge range of sources. Many of these are difficult to find, and often come from unexpected sources. Discounts range from membership of associations and £10 shopping vouchers with Littlewoods Direct, to football league season tickets and National Express half price fares.
The current top ten savings from OscarUK are:
* Up to 50 per cent off fares with National Express coaches
* Save up to £350 a year on utilities with Energylinx
* £10 free when signing up as a new customer with Littlewoods Direct
* 20 per cent off food and drink at railway stations with The Bite Discount Card
* A 10 per cent discount on PatientChoice insurance policies
* Free swimming sessions for the over 60s at local council leisure centres
* A senior railcard (£24) giving over 60s up to a third off the cost of fares
* The Diamond Club card provides exclusive meal offers and discounts in at least 80 pubs and carveries across the UK
* Odeon ‘Senior Screen’ gives over 60s discounted entry into cinemas, with free tea and coffee
* Worldhotels Senior gives over 60s up to 25 per cent off 500 hotels in more than 300 locations in 70 countries worldwide, often with extra perks and amenities